Since we had our 3d ultrasound today (see previous post!) we decided today would be our "out and about" day. Eric planned our day and I only found out the plan as we went along. Ben did a pretty good job as usual, except that he wanted nothing to do with being in the car seat today. Other than that, he was pretty happy!
We started the day out by going to a tiny little farmer's market in downtown Raleigh. This was new for us. It was small but there were a good amount of people milling around. The real reason for us going was to have ice cream for a "brunch". :) Woo-hoo! The Parlour (our fave ice cream truck) was there and I had a scoop of the salted butter caramel (my fave) and a scoop of the new honey hazelnut crunch (it is now a new fave..YUMMY!). After I ate my ice cream and of course shared a few bites with Eric and Ben, Eric decided he was going to try one of their ice cream sandwiches. Chocolate chip cookies with Vietnamese coffee ice cream. I went back to the car to grab the camera and we let Ben try a few bites. He didn't quite get the taking a bit thing, or licking. He just opened his mouth and held it there! :)
Hmm..what's this?
Oh - Ice Cream! Yummy!!!
After that, we walked around a bit more and found some chickens. I should mention here that Ben has begun saying "guh-guh" for "dog" and there were several dogs walking around with people. Ben kept saying "guh-guh" :) So it was pretty funny when Eric was showing him the chickens and he started saying "guh-guh" all excitedly. So I guess for now all animals are considered dogs in Ben's eyes! We'll work on that! :)
Chickens or Dogs???
After the market, we went on to Durham (that's where the ultrasound place was anyway) and we stopped at Fullsteam brewery. Now you would think that wouldn't be the best place to take a mom for mother's day when she a) doesn't like beer and b) is pregnant and can't drink it anyway. However, food trucks often sit outside of the brewery and one of my faves was there today. Will & Pops makes a variety of grilled cheese sandwiches that are AWESOME! I had my usual - grilled cheese with guacamole and Eric got grilled cheese with bacon and tomato. They cut the sandwiches in half so it was easy for us to split them and share! :) We also let Ben try to take a bite...he got some of the filling, but I'm not sure if he took a real bite or was able to just kind of suck out the cheese and guacamole. :) It was still pretty cute. And while we waited for our food we snapped some photos of our little man!
Him and that tongue!
I'm done here mom!
Are we really here, AGAIN??!?!?
You're gonna give me food? Okay, then we can stay!
Dad, I'm waiting!
Ahh, food! I am in heaven!!!!
I got this mom!
Sooo good! Let me savor the moment!
Gosh, I love this little boy...even as I upload these photos and relive him eating that sandwich, I can't help but smile! Anyway, after this we went to our ultrasound. After that we went and checked out a couple stores. One was a store with items made by local artists. Pretty neat, but pretty pricey! Ben was sleeping in Eric's arms and we hated to wake him to put him back in his seat, so we walked around a bit more. As a side note. Now that Ben is in his big boy car seat, it stinks to have to wake him up when we are out. We used to be able to just put his car seat on the stroller and keep him sleeping. Not possible anymore! :( Oh well, we are thankful we made it 10 months with that infant carrier! On the plus side we walked over to Ten Thousand Villages - a store with random things from around the world. Well it was Fair Trade Day I guess and Ben and Jerry's supplied FREE ice cream! So I enjoyed my second serving of ice cream for the day! Ben enjoyed banging on the bongo drums (he had woken up on the way over there) and the other musical instruments - especially the xylophone. :) We headed back to the car and stopped at a few more shops and got the canvases I am going to use to do something special for the new nursery!
Finally we headed over to Only Burger for dinner. I LOVE their lamb sliders - it's like a gyros on a bun! Eric had a philly burger and we ordered Ben his very own slider (a regular beef burger). We tried to let him take a bite, but with only half a tooth, biting isn't very easy! So we broke it up for him and let him feed himself. He ate most of the patty! :)
Open wide!
Mmmm...I Love my first burger! (I love his little face here!)
This is a bit easier...now daddy can eat his burger too!
With two hands I can eat it faster!
After we finished up our burgers, we headed next door to Tutti Frutti - the self serve frozen yogurt place! And if you are counting, yes this was my third ice cream treat of the day - but hey, at least it was yogurt, it's mother's day weekend, and I'm pregnant! :) Ben sure didn't mind as he gobbled up some of the raspberry sorbet I got! :) Finally, we were headed home. Ben got to take a much needed nap on the way and was able to hang out and crawl and play for a bit before bed. He is now sleeping soundly as this baby girl (who wouldn't move much during the ultrasound) is wiggling all over the place!
When we got home, I got a quick picture with my wonderful little boy! :)
All in all, it was a pretty good first Mother's Day! Next year I get to celebrate with TWO little ones! Double the fun, right!?
Happy Mother's day to all the moms out there - and the grandmas and great-grandmas too! :)
This sounds like such a fun day!!! Jackson totally thought every animal was a dog at first. Then it was either a dog or a cow. Don't worry, it works itself out ;) I believe it's a benefit of having dogs for our boys to grow up with :)
ReplyDelete